Well, here we go!
It's funny, I have considered loads of things to write here for my first ever blog post: Should it be something poignant? Something funny? Something crass? Something basic? How much information should be included? Where should I start? You know, the usual interior rantings of someone known to think way to much into things.
I have decided to start here and go with the flow.
The Basis and Reason Behind This Blog:
Running. Marathon running at that.
Now we are onto something. As Mom would say in class, find the thesis first, then focus your writing(I am paraphrasing obviously as I have no real recollection of the exact words that she said in my increasing old age, but there was always something about picking a theme first).
Anywho, for those of you out there that know me well, you know I have a tendency to ramble. It's in my nature. You would think I was never allowed to express thought as a child seeing how I constantly have one tangent after another and never seem to know where the off switch is.
So.....Running. I have never been much of a runner. Ever. Not distances at least. Short spurts here and there were always okay but I never had the endurance to go for a long way. I would always get tired and end up walking. Ask the guys on the baseball team from high school. Big Tank and I were always at the back of the pack on our runs through the neighborhoods surrounding GPHS, looking for shortcuts.
The idea of running a whole marathon, all 26.2 miles of it seems absolutely impossible to me right now, and I think that's what makes it also sound like a fun idea.
I'm planning on using this blog as a means to keep everyone up to date on my training as it progresses; to get feedback and support if it's necessary; to let everyone know how the beard is coming in, etc.
But mainly, I just want to write. There will be days I talk about the music I am listening to, or the movies I have seen recently. There will be talk of shoes, and addiction, and recovery and anything that pops in my head really.
I look forward to this journey and hope you all enjoy it through and with me.
So, since this is a blog about me and running, let me tell you where I am right now. I have started my preconditioning for my race which will be held on September 17, 2011 in Dayton, Ohio. I will get into the details on why someplace so far from home in a future post, it's not that great of a story.
Anyway, my technical training starts on May 16 and by that date I need to be able to run 3 consecutive miles which is something I have never done before. So right now I am building up my stamina and body endurance to be able to handle the rigors of running a marathon.
I started a week ago, on April 15, by doing some basic run/walk intervals. Jogging for 5 minutes. Fast paced walk for 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes. So far, it hasn't been too hard on me, and I can feel my body responding and growing stronger and wanting to go faster and I am really enjoying that part. Like I said, have never been much of a runner nor have I ever really enjoyed the act of running. I have always envied those who could just take a run to clear their heads.
And that's what I am working on. My head has lots of clearing to be done and I have a lot of miles ahead of me to clear it.
Current state, can do my 30 minutes pretty easily, it usually nets me around 2.25-2.75 miles depending on pace. I haven't lost any weight in the week I have been running, still hovering around 205.
These will get better. Stick with me. There will be pictures and raffles and prizes galore.
No comments:
Post a Comment